The Union Army occupied the City of Natchez after the fall of Vicksburg. Henry Gurney of Natchez recorded the occupation in a series of photographs that were preserved by the William E. Stewart family.

Gurney captured images of the troops at the barracks and the officers at the mansions, which they appropriated both for office and residential use.

Union Army in front of Natchez courthouse.

Troops posing in front of barracks buildings located within Fort McPherson north of downtown Natchez.

Union officers gathered on the front gallery of the Wigwam.

Three officers photographed at the antebellum mansion the Burn. Captain Samuel Glyde Swain (far left), served as assistant engineer for the construction of Fort McPherson.

Detailed view of the same Union officers.

Photographed on the Vidalia side of the river, the U. S. S. Benton was converted into an ironclad in 1861 by James B. Eads of St. Louis. The Benton was commissioned in 1862 as part of the Army’s Western Gunboat Flotilla.

Moored at Natchez, the C. S. S. General Bragg, built 1851, was fitted out as a “cottonclad” ram for the Confederates. She became the U. S. S. General Bragg when she was captured during the Battle of Memphis in 1862.


Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.