Stanton Hall carriage house and stables building

You might have noticed this large brick building on North Commerce Street, situated between two homes in a residential area of downtown Natchez. This building once served Stanton Hall as a carriage house and stables. Originally, the building included three rooms with corresponding openings for carriages and livestock. The structure was enlarged between 1892-1897 and was listed as a cotton warehouse on Sanborn fire insurance maps throughout the twentieth century.

Following Frederick Stanton's death in 1859 his probate inventory listed the contents of the carriage house/stables including, "2 horses, 1 mare, 2 carriages, 1 old buggy, 1 wagon, 2 carts, 1 cow, 1 calf, 1 bull, and 1 new buggy."

Information about this building and other dependencies for Stanton Hall is included on the recently installed interpretive panels at the house.


Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.