Before 1960, the 700-block of Main Street looked very different. Several postbellum townhouses lined the streets leading to the downtown commercial district. Constructed in 1872, the Italianate home of merchant John Conrad Schwartz was the finest residence on the block. On August 29, 1872, the Natchez Democrat noted, "Work has been commenced on a handsome brick dwelling to be erected on the south side of Main Street, near Pine, by Mr. J.C. Schwartz." Mr. Schwartz's daughter, Katie, married W.P. Stewart and the house later became known as the Stewart House. In 1952-1953, the home was demolished for the construction of Sherwin Williams. An original two-story dependency building remains on the site. Although the Schwartz-Stewart House was destroyed, detailed historic images still exist. These photographs show interior spaces and original furnishings.

Schwartz-Stewart House

Looking southwest, view of Schwartz-Stewart House.



Dining Room

Christmas tree decoration that sat under the bay window of the Schwart-Stewart House

2020 view of Sherwin Williams. The original dependency can be seen to the left rear of the building.


Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.